Week 12 Reading: Welsh (Emerson), Part A

Related image
Image on Flickr

For this week, I read the Welsh (Emerson) unit. I chose this unit because I have always wanted to travel Europe, and I know that I have some Celtic ancestry. Many of these tales were about fairies, and I realized that fairies were much more vengeful mythological creatures than I had thought.
In the tale The Fairies of Caragonan, the main character is the queen fairy, although there are many important characters. Something that I liked about this tale was that it displays how fairies can use their powers for good or for revenge. Also, the story was very detailed. For example, we learn a little about the lives of two men that the fairies have helped, as well as one of their sons. The rest of the story then becomes about how this son helps the fairies kill an evil witch (who they casually chuck into a ditch and burn) and how the son is then rewarded with a beautiful wife. It’s a “happily ever after” tale.
I also liked Three Short Tales of Fairies. In one tale, a woman is visited by fairies regularly throughout her life. When she tells her husband about the fairies, their big, handsome child is made small by the fairies in spite. All of these tales punish those who tell anyone about the fairies. I found this curious because fairies seem to be common knowledge for the people in these tales. It seems that those who talk about their personal experiences with fairies are made to regret it.

If you would like to read these tales, click here: link.
Emerson, Peter. Welsh Fairy-Tales and Other Stories. 1892.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Post

My Favorite Places - The Pacific Northwest