Week 13 Storytelling: Rhymes & Crimes

Proverbs


Those who see others with their hearts, not their eyes
Must after all be very wise.
Those who judge others only on looks
Will end up no better than the most vile crooks!


One who is rude unto another
Shall get no pudding for supper!

Tales


Jenny took her little puppy dog out for a walk
When suddenly she heard overhead a loud squawk.
Looking up above her head poor Jenny did see
A large bird, and her dog it was trying to thieve!
Jenny picked up a rock and with one good chuck
Knocked the bird in its head, ‘twas the puppy dog’s luck!


One book, two book, three book, four.
Little Fiona goes to the library every-day!
She likes to read and do nothing more,
And her dear mother tells her to go out and play.
Fiona does not like scraping her knees outside
Or especially getting burns from the sun.
Instead, she will state with such pride,
“Mother dear, reading is simply the most fun!”


O Debt! my Debt! our fearful trip is done,
This degree has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
Graduation is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
Sorrow, though, our hearts do feel, the Bursar’s bill grim and daring;
                        But O heart! heart! heart!
                           O the gushing of hard-earned bread,
                              Where on the floor my Motivation lies,
                                 Fallen cold and dead.

Jingles


*Think of “Take Me to Church” by Hozier*


Take me to Hurts!
I’m lazy like a log and I’m not too bright!
Eat some donuts again so you can shame my life!
Offer me the fattest fat,
Good Hurts, give me donuts to-night!


Heidy-ho, off to college I go
Where an arm and a leg I will pay
To sit and to listen as an act of contrition
For entering Life poor on my birth-day.


Author's Note: Well, for the first half of this writing assignment, I really tried to make up my own nursery rhymes inspired by the English Nursery Rhyme unit. The unit included poems that we are all familiar with such as Simple Simon and The Cow Jumped over the Moon. I ended up cracking myself up with the first four poems because they are SO cheesy. Then, I was thinking about how I could write a jingle and remembered a text I sent my friend once about wanting Hurts donuts. After that, I wrote the jingle about college. Finally, I searched for the poem O Captain! My Captain! by Walt Whitman and used that to write a tale about college, as well. So, that poem is mostly Whitman's work changed to relate to college kids everywhere.

If you'd like to revisit some nursery rhymes from your childhood, click here: link.
Lang, Andrew. The Nursery Rhyme Book. 1897.
To read Walt Whitman's poem, click here: link.

Comments

  1. Hi Bridget! This was a such a creative idea for a story! I've never done poems for one of my stories because I'm terrible at them but I really enjoyed reading yours. I loved how you had a bunch of different styles of poems. It showed a lot of range as a writer and wasn't so monotonous for the reader. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Post

My Favorite Places - The Pacific Northwest